We Need You!
Calling all bookworms, library dwellers, and gurus of organization–LGBT Life Center Library needs your help! Our extensive library of books is a wonderful space for both leisure and education but needs to be properly categorized. That’s where you come in. If you have experience in library sciences or just have an interest in or knack for books, we welcome you to apply. Help us bring out the best in our space!
About the Position
Job Title: LGBTQ Library Intern
Supervisor: Clay Porter, Volunteer Coordinator
Job Summary: Intern performs a variety of duties associated with the management of the LGBT Life Center Library. Intern will be responsible for sorting through books and cataloging the existing collections, as well as creating recommendations for what to acquire to fill gaps in the collection.
Time Commitment: Flexible, semester project
Knowledge/ Skill/ Ability:
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Presents oneself as an excellent representation of LGBT Life Center
- Adopts and promotes professionalism in all aspects of work
- Ability to work independently
- Takes initiative on developing projects and daily activities
- Adopts time management strategies and planning to fulfill assigned duties
- Adopts a friendly, outgoing attitude
- Communicates effectively and in a timely manner to internship supervisor
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Re-organize books and catalogue them into genres
- Separate books that “do not belong”
- Create a list of books to add to the library to fill specific needs
- Develop a book check-out and return system
- Create displays for “browsing” book collections
- Check shelves for correct arrangement of books (referred to as “shelf reading”)
- Assist with library bulletin boards