We’re incredibly proud of our nearly 30-year history in Hampton Roads. When we started in 1989, we focused on women and children living with HIV/AIDS. Over the years, as HIV has changed our work has changed. Our organization has grown as well, and we’re ready to meet the diverse needs of our Hampton Roads community. Today, we’re letting you know that our commitment to a healthy Hampton Roads remains as strong as ever.
We’re thrilled to share our new name and expanded mission with you:
LGBT Life Center is a trusted leader that empowers the LGBTQ communities and all people affected by HIV through improving health and wellness, strengthening families and communities, and providing transformative education and advocacy.
As a valued member of our community, we wanted to share this information with you directly, and we’d like to assure you that Hampton Roads will be receiving the same great care you’ve come to expect and deserve from us.
1. All of our current services, previously offered by ACCESS AIDS Care, will stay exactly the same, and our commitment to HIV care will also stay the same and continue to grow to meet the needs of the people we serve.
2. Our name change is helping us expand our mission in order to better serve the needs of our community.
3. Since we opened the LGBT Center in 2011, the community has continued to ask us for additional services relevant to LGBTQ individuals. This rebrand is answering the call to expand our services and offerings to not just the HIV community, but also to the LGBTQ community.
4. We will be continuing to develop additional LGBTQ programs and positions as we continue through 2017, including medical services, mental health services, trans resources, LGBTQ youth programming, LGBTQ housing, and LGBTQ cultural competency, diversity, and safe space training.
5. While LGBT is in our name, many of our clients are allies. You do not need to be a member of the LGBTQ community to receive our services. We provide excellent care and programming open to everyone in Hampton Roads
Our agency has always responded to our community and toward those who are most critically in need of the help we can provide. Today, with major advances in medication, people living with HIV lead long, healthy lives. We now know that individuals who receive treatment can become undetectable (unable to pass the virus on to others) and medication like PrEP, a daily pill that blocks the virus, can stop HIV before it takes hold. We are closer than ever to ending the epidemic, and we hope you’ll join us in making Hampton Roads a better place to work, do business, and live openly. Our future is bright.
Full of Life,
Chief Executive Officer